It is common for pediatricians and speech therapists Let's look at and assess the characteristics of the frenulum of the smallest, especially in pediatric age. Since the frenulum located under the tongue it is very important in all its movements (up, down, lateralize, forward, rearward, vibrate, etc). And since we all know the language very well and its variety of movements are very important in complex and daily functions, such as speak and the swallowing.
We tell you the main characteristics and curiosities about the lingual frenulum, trying to resolve doubts as the appropriate measure or when to operate.
It is important to remember that the professionals in charge of assessing whether the lingual frenulum is adequate, or it may present problems for speech or swallowing; they are both doctors and speech therapists. But, before going to them, it will be important as parents to assess the following five indications.
These are the main five indications to take into account to suspect an inadequate frenulum, either due to its short length feature and / or type anteriorized (near the tip of the tongue):
- With the tongue in or out of the mouth, it is possible that the shape of your tongue tip instead of being round or triangular as expected, will be heart-shaped. If so, it indicates some tension of the frenulum on the tongue, and will be a alert symbol short tongue length or anterior frenulum.
- In principle, we should not feel signs of pain or tension in the frenulum when making tongue movements. But if that is the case of the child, who has sometimes shown a complaint or reference of annoyance, it could be another alert symbol to comment.
- If we ask him to raise his tongue with his mouth wide open towards the palate, and shows elevation difficulty and also the tongue only manages to rise towards the middle of the mouth or less, this will be another important alert symbol. You can indicate a short length.
- By raising the tongue towards the palate, the specialist will be able to identify where the fixation or birth of the frenulum begins, although it is far from the tip of the tongue and therefore leaving the tongue released, or quite the opposite, it is born near the tip and seriously limits their movements.
- By raising the tongue towards the palate, the specialist can also identify more characteristics of the tissue according to its color and thickness.
Only in the case that the doctor decides to intervene, the two most common operations are the frenotomy or the frenectomy. And either of the two, normally a rehabilitation in speech therapy to help mobilize the tongue, its correct healing and its adaptation in its speech and daily swallowing. Do not hesitate to ask any questions about it.
You can read more articles similar to Curiosities about the tongue tie in children, in the Language category - On-site speech therapy.